Do the best work of your career.
At Basecamp, we help small businesses deal with growth. We help them get it together - and keep it together - so they can do their best work for their own customers. Join us!
We don't have any open positions right now.
Who we are
An eclectic crew united by intellectual curiosity and a passion for great work.
Basecamp is headquartered in Chicago, but our team is spread out across 32 cities around the world. Everyone at Basecamp is free to live and work in the places they thrive, and most of us do just that.
We're authors, artists, designers, do-it-yourselfers, tinkerers, travelers, chefs, campers, readers, race car drivers, raconteurs, programmers, photographers, parents, poets, pilots, and pet lovers.
We run the gamut in geography, lifestyle and interest, but we’re united by a common set of values and goals: have fun, do exceptional work, build the best product in the business, experiment, pay attention to the details, treat people right, tell the truth, have a positive impact on the world around us, give back, and keep learning.
Collectively, we’ve run a profitable and popular business for 17 years straight, launched a widely popular programming framework (Ruby on Rails), written best-selling books, and a whole lot more.
Who you are
Rock star? Pass. Superhero? Super yawn. Friendly and thoughtful? Let's talk.
In broad strokes, Managers of One thrive at Basecamp. If you consider yourself an eager learner, a conscientious worker, and a thoughtful, kind, supportive human, you might just have a home here.
What we’re not looking for are ideological clones or people who are otherwise just like us. In fact, we took a look in the mirror recently and weren’t satisfied with how many similar faces we saw looking back.
You hear a lot of talk from tech companies that diversity is important for making great software. 100% true, but diversity has deeper value beyond monetary. There are few better ways to expand your horizons and grow as a person than to put yourself in the company of others with different backgrounds, experiences and identities. So if you look at our team page and don't see yourself, don’t shy away. Come work with us. We’ll do some growing together.
What it's like to work here
A calm, collected environment where you can focus doing great work.
We value a calm company and deliberate, concerted effort. You’ll have a lot fewer meetings, a lot less email, and a lot less interruption. Turns out 8 hours are plenty of time to get work done when you don’t slice your day into tiny “work moments”.
It’ll take some getting used to if you’ve been immersed in ASAP culture, but after a while you’ll wonder how you worked any other way.
We work in small, independent teams, typically on a 6 week cycle. Everyone at Basecamp participates in Everyone On Support every few months, and twice a year we all get together at our Chicago office to work and play together. Trust falls are optional. Axe throwing is not. Read our employee handbook for more details on what it's like to work at Basecamp.
Here's what we offer
Ever daydream about your perfect job? The benefits probably look a lot like this:
- Top 10% salaries - We monitor industry salaries and make sure we’re paying in the top 10%, based on skills and experience, for every position. Salaries are standardized on the San Francisco market.
- Work where you want - Work from anywhere in the world. Your home, our beautiful Chicago office, a co-working space, on the road, you name it. If you feel like moving your job stays with you.
- 40 hour work week - Work is a marathon, not a sprint. We regularly stick to 40 hours a week, with the occasional emergency or once-every-few-years special push demanding more.
- 32 hour (4-day) Summer work week - May 1 through August 31, we work 4 days a week, for a total of 32-hour weeks. New employees may have to complete a training period per their team lead.
- Health, Dental & Vision Insurance - Basecamp offers a Blue Cross Blue Shield PPO health plan and a MetLife dental & vision plan for you and your family or domestic partner. Basecamp pays 75%, and you pay 25%.
- Life Insurance - Basecamp offers a $400,000 life insurance policy through MetLife. It's fully funded by Basecamp, so you pay nothing!
- Short Term Disability - If you fall ill or injure yourself and are unable to work because of it, let us know and you can take 30 days off at 100% pay. If after that, you're still unable to work, Basecamp's STD policy kicks in and you'll continue to earn 60% of your pay until you're better, up to 3 months off.
- Employee Liquidity Pool - If Basecamp is ever sold or part of an IPO, tenured employees will be eligible to receive a portion of 5% of the value of the company. That 5% would be divided into units, based on the number of employees we have at the time. Someone employed 1 year would receive 1 unit, and so on, until you're fully vested at 5 years for 5 units.
- $100/month Fitness Allowance - Basecamp will pay up to $100/month for your gym membership, yoga studio membership, running shoes, race registration, or whatever activity you do to stay in shape.
- CSA Allowance - Fresh, organic, local fruits and vegetables are great to have on-hand, so Basecamp will pay for a local CSA membership at home for you and your family.
- Vacations and Paid Holidays - Basecamp offers 3 weeks of paid vacation, a few extra personal days, and a few national holidays every year. This is a guideline, so don't sweat a few extra days.
- Charitable Gifts Match - When you donate money to a qualified charity, Basecamp will make a matching gift to that charity on your behalf (up to $2000/year). Your charity must be registered as a 501c3.
- One-Month Sabbatical Every Three Years - Every three years, employees are eligible to take a one-month-long paid sabbatical.
- $100/month Wellness Allowance - Every month, you can expense up to $100 towards a service or experience that enhances your overall mental well-being. Get a massage, take a meditation class, etc.
- 100% match 401k Retirement plan - Basecamp will match your contributions dollar-for-dollar up to 6% of your salary.
- 100% of Hardware & Software - Whatever hardware, software, or services you need to do your job are always 100% on us. No red tape, no questions asked.
- Standing desks - Basecamp will cover the full cost of a standing desk for anyone working outside of Chicago (up to what we spend on our standing desks at the office).
- Coworking Space Stipend - Don't feel like working from home? No sweat. Basecamp will pay up to $200/month towards renting co-working space in your city.
- $1000/annual Continuing Education Allowance - If you’re interested in taking classes to learn something new or further a skill, we’ll cover $1,000 annually. It doesn't have to be something directly related to your career. The point is to learn something that you feel enriches you as a person.
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA) - A FSA is an account where you can set aside pre-tax money for out-of-pocket medical expenses or dependent care expenses. Every year you decide up front how much money you want to put in the account (max $2400/year for medical expenses and $5000/year for dependent care expenses).
- No-Red-Tape Expense Account - Every US employee will be issued a company American Express card in your name. You can use this card for any work-related expenses, such as travel, software, or office supplies. No pre-approval needed, and no limits — just be reasonable. If you're outside the US we'll reimburse you instead.
- Paid Parental Leave - When you welcome a new baby, Basecamp encourages you to take up to 16 weeks leave as primary caregiver and up to 6 weeks leave as secondary caregiver, at 100% paid salary. Primary or secondary caregivers can choose to take an additional 8 weeks unpaid leave.
- Basecamp Holiday Gift - At the end of the year, Basecamp gives everyone a thank-you gift. Employees who have been at Basecamp for one year or less get one gift (last year: a night on the town), and employees with longer tenures get more elaborate gifts (last year: a paid trip to one of 16 amazing places around the world).
- No office traps - We don't offer things like Foosball tables, catered meals in the office, and other “perks” designed to keep you at work for all of your waking hours. We want you to put in 8 quality hours then go live your life, rest, and recharge so you can come back fresh to do it again.