Basecamp EU-US and Swiss-US Privacy Shield policy
Last updated: May 24, 2018
The privacy of your data—and it is your data, not ours!—is a big deal to us. We’ll only ever access your account to help you with a problem or squash a software bug. We’ll never open any uploaded files unless you ask us to. We log all access to all accounts by IP address, so we can always verify that no unauthorized access has happened for as long as the logs are kept.
This policy applies to personal data from the European Union and from Switzerland that is collected, used, and retained by us in the United States.
Identity & Access
When you sign up for Basecamp, we ask for your name, company name, and email address. That’s just so you can personalize your new account, and we can send you invoices, updates, or other essential information. We’ll never sell your personal info to third parties, and we won’t use your name or company in marketing statements without your permission, either.
You always have the right to access the personal information we store about you. And, if you wish to further limit our use of your personal information, please contact Jeremy Daer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Users of Basecamp can store any type of information in Basecamp, but Basecamp does not access or share that data, and does not know what type of data you or other users are storing. The data is only used by the account owner and invited users as they intend to use it.
When you write Basecamp with a question or to ask for help, we’ll keep that correspondence, and the email address, for future reference. When you browse our marketing pages, we’ll track that for statistical purposes (like conversion rates and to test new designs). We also store any information you volunteer, like surveys, for as long as it makes sense.
The only times we’ll ever share your info:
- To provide products or services you’ve requested, with your permission.
- To investigate, prevent, or take action regarding illegal activities, suspected fraud, situations involving potential threats to the physical safety of any person, violations of our Terms of Service, or as otherwise required by law.
Basecamp does not share individual’s personal data with non-agent third parties. If this policy changes in the future, we will notify individuals and provide them with an opportunity to opt-out of having their data shared.
Your Rights With Respect to Your Information
You may have heard about the General Data Protection Regulation (“GDPR”) in Europe. GDPR gives people under its protection certain rights with respect to their personal information collected by us on the Site. Accordingly, Basecamp recognizes and will comply with GDPR and those rights, except as limited by applicable law. The rights under GDPR include:
- Right of Access. This includes your right to access the personal information we gather about you, and your right to obtain information about the sharing, storage, security and processing of that information.
- Right to Correction. This is your right to request correction of your personal information.
- Right to Erasure. This is your right to request, subject to certain limitations under applicable law, that your personal information be erased from our possession (also known as the “Right to be forgotten”). However, if applicable law requires us to comply with your request to delete your information, fulfillment of your request may prevent you from using Basecamp services and may result in closing your account.
- Right to Complain. You have the right to make a complaint regarding our handling of your personal information with the appropriate supervisory authority.
- Right to Restrict Processing. This is your right to request restriction of how and why your personal information is used or processed.
- Right to Object. This is your right, in certain situations, to object to how or why your personal information is processed.
- Right to Portability. This is your right to receive the personal information we have about you and the right to transmit it to another party.
- Right to not be subject to Automated Decision-Making. This is your right to object and prevent any decision that could have a legal, or similarly significant, effect on you from being made solely based on automated processes. This right is limited, however, if the decision is necessary for performance of any contract between you and us, is allowed by applicable European law, or is based on your explicit consent.
Many of these rights can be exercised by signing in and directly updating your account information. If you have questions about exercising these rights or need assistance, please contact us at email@example.com.
Processors we use
As part of the services we provide, and only to the extent necessary, we may use certain third party processors to process some or all of your personal information. For identification of these processors, and where they are located, please see our Subprocessor listing. We have signed appropriate data processing contracts that comply with GDPR with each processor.
While we may be required to disclose your personal information in response to a lawful request by public authorities, including to meet national security or law enforcement requirements, Basecamp won’t otherwise hand your data over to law enforcement unless a court order says we have to. We flat-out reject such other requests from local and federal law enforcement when they seek data without a court order. And unless we’re legally prevented from it, we’ll always inform you when such requests are made.
Security & Encryption
All data is encrypted via SSL/TLS when transmitted from our servers to your browser. The database backups are also encrypted. Data isn’t encrypted while it’s live in our database (since it needs to be ready to send to you when you need it), but we go to great lengths to secure your data at rest—you can read more about that on our security page.
For more information about how we keep your information secure, please review our security overview.
In order to improve our services and the website, and provide more convenient, relevant experiences to you, we and our vendors may use “cookies”, “web beacons”, and similar devices to track your activities.
You understand that Basecamp uses third party vendors and hosting partners to provide the necessary hardware, software, networking, storage, and related technology required to provide you with our services. A current list of vendors is available upon request.
In cases of onward transfer to these third parties for data of EU or Swiss individuals received pursuant to the Privacy Shield Frameworks, Basecamp is potentially liable should any issues or concerns arise.
When you cancel your account, we’ll ensure that nothing is stored on our servers past 30 days. Anything you delete on your account while it’s active will also be purged within 30 days (up until then it’s available in the trash can).
EU-US and Swiss-US Privacy Shield Framework
Basecamp is subject to the investigatory and enforcement powers of the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) with regard to the Privacy Shield Frameworks.
EU-US and Swiss-US Privacy Complaints
Basecamp has further committed to refer unresolved privacy complaints under the EU-US and Swiss-US Privacy Shield Principles to an independent dispute resolution mechanism, the BBB EU PRIVACY SHIELD, operated by the Council of Better Business Bureaus. If you do not receive timely acknowledgment of your complaint, or if your complaint is not satisfactorily addressed, please visit http://www.bbb.org/EU-privacy- shield/for-eu-consumers for more information and to file a complaint.
Please note that if your complaint is not resolved through these channels, under limited circumstances, a binding arbitration option may be available before a Privacy Shield Panel.
Location of Site and Data
This Site is operated in the United States. If you are located in the European Union or elsewhere outside of the United States, please be aware that any information you provide to us will be transferred to the United States. By using our Site, participating in any of our services and/or providing us with your information, you consent to this transfer.
Changes & Questions
Basecamp may update this policy once in a blue moon—we’ll notify you about significant changes by emailing the account owner or by placing a prominent notice on our site. You can access, change or delete your personal information at any time by contacting Jeremy Daer at firstname.lastname@example.org, or by mail at Basecamp LLC, 30 North Racine Avenue #200, Chicago, IL 60607 USA.